If you have a 780, of any year, chances are you have run into some of the same weak spots in these cars. When we met with some of the production team from Bertone, they were curious what was causing concerns 25 years later. Given that few of the actual 780 Bertone team ever had the opportunity to personally own a 780, these challenges were intriguing to them.
Here are the “top 10” weaknesses. Got solutions? Share in the comments or drop us an email.
(1) Broken front spoiler (and missing tow hook cover)
(2) Rust around back side windows and sunroof frame, due to stopped up drain tubes
(3) Seat back cables and memory glide failure
(4) Cracking wood on dash and door inserts
(5) Cracking paint on the c-pillar
(6) Broken, or stretched trunk release cables
(7) Gas door remote dash switch failure
(8) OEM amplifiers that drain battery
(9) Sun visor lights and mirror breaking
(10) Cracking dash near the sun sensor
Plus… Driver door panel that comes loose…
Of course, in fairness, after 25 years, there are always common issues, such as sagging headliners and split seat bottoms. Given that the average projected lifespan of a car in the late 1980s was 13 to 15 years, some challenges are expected.
What have you found by way of parts or options for repair? firstname.lastname@example.org or post a comment